Featured post

Sidmouth Manor Pavilion Theatre - An Inspector Calls (with James Pellow)

Folks who know me very well often say, kindly I think, that I should get out more. I’m a grumpy old sod at the best of times and in the ...

Friday 19 October 2012

Euripides' Helen - Wheathampstead DS


Funny old night down at Marford Road. Director Malcolm Hobbs seemed to throw everything but the kitchen sink at his Wheathampstead Dramatic Society staging of Euripides’ Helen. The Frank McGuinness bawdy language is underpinned by a bewildering variety of costumes and acting styles in this interesting slant on the aftermath of the Trojan War. It shouldn’t work but strangely it did. Ignore the heavy reference points and you could be watching a modern marital comedy in which Irene Morris’s Helen of Troy was outstanding and Steve Leadbetter a strong and positive support. Interesting evening. I shall muse on its faults but, as one of my companions said, it was a production which grew on you. Given the heavy programme notes that was no mean achievement. Roy Hall

Full review to follow

Finishes tomorrow (Saturday 20th October - 8.00pm)

No comments: